Monday, April 11, 2016

The perfect tuna sandwich

No blog posts for ages and then, what? A sandwich? I'm afraid so. Truth is, I feel like I've lost my food mojo in the last couple of weeks. Life seems to have overtaken me; there seems to be too much going on and not enough time to do it in. I've been doing a lot of running, so I'm perpetually hungry (and tired), and spending hours in the kitchen is a luxury I don't seem to have. 

Anyway, I'm hoping normal(ish) service will resume soon. In the meantime, here's a sandwich I perfected earlier in the year, when I was on holiday, combining lots of running with lots of gardening, lots of reading and lots of sitting on our newly finished deck, thinking how life was pretty sweet.


The perfect tuna sandwich
Not surprisingly, good tuna and good bread are essential to the success of this sandwich. The absolute best baguettes I've found in Wellington are the Acme sourdough baguettes from Prefab, the best tuna is the Sirena brand (the one with the mermaid on the tin).

1 x 185g tin good quality tuna in oil, drained (reserve the oil)
2 tsp green peppercorns in brine, drained
2 tsp capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
zest and juice of a lemon
2 tbsp mayonnaise
salt and pepper

Put everything in a small bowl and mix well. Add a little more oil if necessary. Pile into a halved baguette with some crunchy lettuce. Eat immediately.

What have you been up to while I've been away?



6 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is simple food which pleases the most - and that sandwich looks very tempting to me. Fresh, light and clean, exactly what my body cries out for at this time of year...mind you, fresh bread gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sorry, that should read: 'fresh bread gets my vote every time.' the other version sounds like indigestion!

      Delete
    2. Thank you - I agree, the world would be a sadder place without good bread!

      Delete
  2. Love a good tuna sandwich and this just reminded me I haven't had one in a long while. Glad I'm not the only one to have lost their blogging mojo, except mine's just hit a one month anniversary :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, that does look like a perfect tuna sandwich! Love the capers, but I'd have a hard time making one without also adding a bit of chopped sweet pickle. Capers are a bit out of the ordinary here in the US -- none of my friends seem to use them -- but my English grandmother and mother loved them, so I grew up with them and always have them on hand.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...