Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Spicy seedy spuds

Regular readers of this blog will know that we eat a lot of potatoes in this house. I have gone from being someone with a mortal fear of the humble spud (boarding school, need I say more?) to someone who heaves sacks of them into the trolley with abandon. Thanks to the previous owners of this house, we even have some growing in the garden.

But that doesn't mean I don't get bored with them. You could say we have a troubled relationship, but I am trying to do my bit. That's how this delectable recipe came into being...

Crunchy Potatoes With Indian Spices Photo And Recipe Lucy Corry/The Kitchenmaid

Spicy seedy spuds
This recipe was born purely out of chance - I was thinking about something my mum used to do with potatoes and sesame seeds, but pulled out the jar of fennel seeds instead. One thing led to another and before long we had this tray of crunchy and aromatic spuds to eat with some grilled fish and salad. I can't recommend them highly enough.

800g roasting potatoes (eg Agria, King Edward, Maris Piper)
60g butter or ghee
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp fennel seeds
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 heaped tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli flakes, optional
a good pinch of flaky sea salt

Heat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper or foil (or both, if you are the sort of cheating cook who hates washing up of any kind).
Scrub the potatoes and cut into 2cm dice. Tip them into a large bowl.
If you have the time, the inclination and the equipment, bash the seeds in a mortar and pestle to crush them slightly.
Melt the butter in a small pot, then add the seeds, spices and salt. Let cook for a minute or two, then pour this mixture over the potatoes. Stir well, until they are completely coated.
Tip out onto the prepared tray, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes, giving the tray a shake halfway through. Serves four.

Spicy Seedy Potato Cubes

What's your favourite new way with potatoes?

7 comments:

  1. Yum! I have also just discovered a new way to roast root vegs - blending the oil with garlic & spices before tossing through the vegs! Sooo yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really good - and I guess you could use herbs too?

      Delete
  2. I love potatoes and fennel seeds. I'm not so keen on ghee though but Ahmad loves it. These are definitely ones to make with him in mind. I love when recipes happen in this way and then end up being favourites. Thanks for sharing Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fennel seeds too. I think on Chocolate Log Blog she has a recipe for fennel and choc chip cookies (in case you needed some inspiration!)

      Delete
  3. An inspired alternative to the boring potato wedge. Will most definitely give these a go to go with the Nigel Slater herb burger next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this looks like a great way to perk up the humble potato! I have a Tefal Actifry which we use for chips etc. I bet these cubed potatoes would be delicious in there...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...